Pages

Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Running

I have decided to start a new blog and dedicate it to all my Couch to 5K/Jogging-related posts.  I will post this entry on the blog and then all of my future jogging blogs will be on that blog only.  I added a link to it on the right column of my blog.  Feel free to follow that blog and follow my journey to a 5k!

Several months ago I wrote about starting the Couch to 5K program.  I am very good at starting things, then not finishing them.  I only did 1 week of the program in September.  :(

I am hoping that is not the case this time around! I started again this week and I am hoping to STAY WITH IT!  I love, love, love it.  I LOVE jogging.  I have NEVER been a runner, but I’ve always wanted to be.  I read several blogs of girls that I both know and don’t know, who have been running half-marathons, and I am super jealous because I want to do that! 

SO, anyway.  Day before yesterday, I started up the C25K again.  I thought about starting out with Week 1, which is probably what I should have done.  Week 1 is a 5 minute warm-up, then you alternate 60 seconds of jogging and 90 seconds of walking for a total of 20 minutes, followed by a 5 minute cool down.  When I did the first week 2 months ago, I loved it, thought it was tough but definitely “do-able,” and finished it without feeling like I was going to die.

Week 2 is a 5 minute warm-up, then alternate 90 seconds of jogging and 2 minutes of walking for a total of 20 minutes, and a 5 minute cool-down. It doesn’t sound that hard to me. It’s SIX 1.5-minute jogs and FIVE 2-minute walks.  Let me tell you…. it’s hard.  The first three jogs are not tough.  The fourth one starts getting to me. The fifth one I skip, and the sixth and final jog, I can barely get through.  BUT, I do as much as I can without falling over on the side of the road and dying in the ditch. And at the end of the run, I feel really good.

By the time the 30-minute workout is over, I still have a little ways before I get home, so my cool-down is more like 10 minutes instead of 5, but that’s a good thing.  Right now I am running/walking right at 2 miles, but as I move on each week, I will run more and walk less, which means I will be going further.  I cannot WAIT until I will run my entire first 5K!  And my long-term goal is to run a half-marathon (13.1 miles) next FALL.

I have done 2 days of the 2nd week, but I am going to do it twice, instead of doing the 3rd week next week. I am hoping to post each time I run until I finish the program, then I will start training for a longer distance.  :)

If you want more information about the Couch to 5K program, click here.  There are also apps for the iPod/iPhone (and Droid as well, I believe) that are very handy.

And, last but not least, I’d like to introduce you to my new best (and worst) friend.  I’m not positive yet, but I think I’m going to name her Betty.

I say best, because she will make it so much easier to go for a run while I am by myself with Christopher.  I say worst, because she weighs 30ish pounds… plus 25ish pound-Christopher.  You can do the math.
10 28 10_0102

Happy jogging!

1 comment:

  1. i'm in the same boat as you! I used to love jogging/running but then 5+ years later i can barely walk a mile with out running out of breath....I jsut started jogging/walking intervals on monday. Hopefully it'll get easier...the jogging stroller would definetly help since im using an umbrella stroller it always get stuck or swivels at random....good luck to you and i can't wait to read more about it :)

    ReplyDelete

I always love to hear from my readers! Feel free to leave a comment!
--Steph