Pages

Monday, September 17, 2012

White Chicken Chili

I made this chili tonight for dinner.  My mom found the recipe somewhere and made it for us once and Stephen LOVED it and made me get the recipe from her. He and Christopher both enjoyed it tonight (as did I) so I thought I’d share it. I like this because it’s quickly thrown together, freezes well, and it’s pretty healthy (It has a lot of cheese in it but you could easily reduce the amount of cheese in it and I don’t really think it would affect the flavor. In fact, I might do that next time.) I also like that it only dirties up two dishes and that you don’t really have to cook any other side dishes to go along with it. Yes, please!photo (1)

Ingredients
2-3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cubed
1 T oil
1 large yellow onion
2 T cumin
1 T paprika
2 cans green chilies (I only use 1 can)
1 can chicken broth
2 cans great northern beans
2 cans white kidney beans
2 cans navy beans
3 cups monterey jack cheese

Directions
Cook chicken, onion, and spices in oil. Once chicken has cooked, add chilies and broth. Mix and let cook for a few minutes. Pour into crock pot. Add beans. Mix well. Cook on low for 2 hours. About 15 minutes before serving, add cheese.  Serve with more cheese, cilantro, sour cream, and tortillas.

**My notes – we just added cheese and cilantro to ours tonight, no sour cream or tortillas. Honestly, I didn’t read about the tortillas until I decided to type it up just now, or I might have done that. We had a few crackers with ours. I don’t think it needs the sour cream. I DO think that the cilantro is what really makes the final dish. It definitely needs the cilantro. This makes PLENTY, so  make sure you have a LARGE crockpot. Plan on having leftovers to freeze for later!

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always love to hear from my readers! Feel free to leave a comment!
--Steph