Pages

Thursday, June 23, 2011

ogres are like onions

So.

Christopher is 22 months old (ack!) and all over the place. I’ve been trying to get him interested in TV since he was about a year old – I bought him a portable DVD player and a Mickey Mouse DVD for his first birthday. He wasn’t interested in Mickey, so we tried Veggie Tales, Sesame Street, Dora… he would watch them in the car for maybe 15 minutes or so before getting bored with it. And at home – forget it. He wasn’t interested at all! I’ve tried all different sorts of children’s programming recently and nothing was working.

It’s not that I want him to be a couch potato. And to be honest, he’s really good about independent play, so it wasn’t something that I pushed. Just every now and then, when he was bored and ripping my house to shreds I would try to get him distracted by TV.

Anyway, this past weekend, I remembered a few friends whose kiddos loved Shrek, (and honestly, I love it too) so I told Stephen to pop it into the DVD player and see if Christopher would like it.

shrek4

And since Saturday, Shrek has played on my DVD player approximately 3541 times.

shrek1

Okay, not really. But I would say that we’ve had Shrek on at least once a day. Sometimes twice.

shrek2

Don’t judge me.

shrek3Christopher LOVES it. He normally sits and watches it for about 20-30 minutes. After that, he gets off the couch and start playing around in the living room, but he never leaves to go (destroy) another room while Shrek is playing.

He asks to watch it. If the TV gets turned on, he comes into the living room and grabs our black DVD remote and goes “Rawwwrrrr rrrooaaaaarr raaaaaawr.” This means “Shrek,” because at the beginning of the movie when Shrek is scaring the village men who are supposed to be hunting him down, he roars at them to scare them away. The first time Christopher saw that, he thought it was SO funny and he roared at me. Afterwards, I would ask him -- “how does Shrek go?” and he would roar… so now he just ROARS at me when he wants to watch it.

1 comment:

I always love to hear from my readers! Feel free to leave a comment!
--Steph